Monday, February 11, 2013

Review: Adidas ClimaLite Tee


So you finally retired your last piece of Livestrong gear and you're looking for something a little more subtle on the trails. While not necessarily a cycling jersey, the Adidas ClimaLite series is the perfect attire for those days when you don't feel like being a rolling billboard. 

Full Disclosure: It would be awesome if I got this stuff for free, but rest assured that I paid full MSRP for it.

I stumbled upon these while looking for something affordable, yet could perform in a variety of situations. Mostly, I was looking for something to keep my back from becoming a swampy mess on hot rides with a CamalBak, and I have to admit these definitely fit the bill. According to the label, the shirts are constructed from 92% polyester and 8% spandex giving them a light and soft feel. These bad boys are softer than an old Sunday morning t-shirt. Possibly one of the best features is the cut and fit of the shirts. As a tall and skinny guy, it can be hard to find shirts that don’t turn into a sail at the first hint of wind. I was happy to find that the ClimaLites live in a happy medium between ultra tight muscle shirt and a drag inducing sail. I typically wear a medium t-shirt and found the Adidas to fit about the same as other shirts in my closet. 





A variety of colors insures that you can match your frame/hubs/spokes/helmet.

I was impressed by the shirt’s lightweight material and breathability. I have several with the oldest around 7 months. It has held up to multiple washings as well as trail battle damage, with no sign of rips or fading colors. However, I will note that after sticking it in the dryer, it did shrink a bit. Since then, I just hang dry them and haven’t had any problems. They dry quickly, so this isn’t an issue, in fact they are often barely damp when I pull them out of the washer. 

The ClimaLite series is designed as a general workout shirt and worked great on the trails. Returning from a ride on a warm day, I found that my back only had a hint of dampness and by the time I had finished putting my bike and other gear away, it was completely dry. I’ve also worn them as a base layer on cold or rainy days under a rain shell. The shirt worked great in this capacity with the all the vents open on the shell.





Small text on the back rounds out the discrete graphics

Adidas has a pretty solid product on their hands, but there are a few downsides for cyclists. They lack pockets like a real cycling jersey so you’re out of luck if you like to stash Gu or other small items. They also lack the typical cycling tail that ensures a riders back will be covered. This was never a problem for me as the shirts were long enough for my short torso, but your milage may vary. The shirts are also fairly thin, so if you’re local trails are overgrown or if you take a lot of spills, their lifespan could be short. However, as I said before, mine have been nothing but solid for my cross country and light trail riding. 

The shirts come in both long sleeve and short sleeve versions and I’ve had great experience with both. They also come in a variety of colors since technicolor fab seems to be the current trend in work out gear. Rest assured you can find a color to match your frame/hubs/spokes/helmet. At around $20 for the short sleeve and $25 for the long sleeve, you could outfit yourself for an entire week of riding for the price of one of the higher end jerseys. If you’re looking for something light and versatile  to get you through the riding season then the Adidas ClimaLite is definitely worth a look. 

Images: 2013 Adidas America Inc. 

1 comment: